Thursday, March 6, 2014

Free Speech!

I was reading an article the other day on a trusted website that I visit very often called prisonplanet.com that I would like to share. The article was about a student at a school in California. Well this student attending Modesto Junior College named Robert Van Tuinen was standing on school grounds passing out copies of the U.S. Constitution. A few officers of the law thought that it would be alright to tell Van Tuinen that he was not allowed to practice his right of free speech. Van Tuinen argued intensively with the officers. Van Tuinen ended up talking with the school superviser and she explained to him that he had to set up an appointment to share the Constitution at a specific location at the school. The school was saying that Van Tuinen was not allowed to talk about and share the Constitution except for in a area of the school that is called the "free speech zone." Van Tuinen understood that this was not lawful of the school to do, and so he took them to court. He ended up receiving a $50,000 settlement from his case. It is ridiculous to me that the school even thought that they had the right to stop Van Tuinen from talking about the Constitution during school. The Constitution is one of the most important documents to ever be written. I applaud Robert Van Tuinen for standing up for what he believes in and challenging the school and the officers.

1 comment:

  1. I liked this post! It totally caught my eye when I saw that it was about Modesto Junior College since Modesto is my home town. I thought it was way cool that he was passing out copies of the Constitution. We live in America! We should know more about our own country. I think there are too many people that are just "here". I think it's super important that citizens get more involved in the country. I agree that it is ridiculous that they thought they could stop him from talking about the Constitution during school. How can that be illegal at all? It's required that we learn about it in school; it's part of our history. Without the Constitution, America wouldn't be what it is today. Thank you for sharing this. I didn't realize things like this were even a problem!

    ReplyDelete